Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Year of Magical Thinking

I went to see Joan Didion speak on Monday night at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. She was sharply direct and observant, completely reasonable. After some time, Ms. Didion read an except from her book, The Year of Magical Thinking. Life changes fast. Life changes in an instant.

Yesterday, Tuesday, I visited the travel department and events management at The Promotional Edge. Everyone made be feel welcome and available to my sales pitch for the Luxe Hotel Rodeo Drive and Luxe Hotel Sunset Blvd. On the way back I stopped at a business on Jefferson Blvd. where I surprised the owner whom I haven’t seen in 15 years. His son of 22 passed two years ago and I know he was devastated. He said that much joy had also come from it and that he had begun a foundation for helping financially challenged youth get a college education. Today there are ten young men whose lives have been touched by the loss of one.

This is all to say that, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop to look once in awhile, you could miss it.” -Ferris Bueller

No comments: