Friday, May 25, 2007

The High and the Mighty

Last night, the Academy Foundation featured the theatrical premiere of a new restoration of The High and the Mighty with iconic star John Wayne. At 7 o’clock I was still asking myself, why did I purchase this ticket? I suppose for the sheer reason that my mother’s favorite movie star was John Wayne. Growing up, I secretly believed that she wished my father was a little more like John Wayne and less like Howard Keel. There was an unwritten rule in our home regarding certain words or phrasing. Of course, there was the occasional slip and a word such as Oklahoma, 76 trombones, or old man and river passed our lips and, on cue, my dad would break into song!

But I digress. Now I know why my mother found The Alamo so engaging. John Wayne exudes confidence. The High and Mighty film project was a decade long restoration spearheaded by Wayne’s son and daughter-in-law. Wayne co-produced and starred in the air disaster film which was released in 1954. This Centennial Salute (this would have been Wayne’s 100th birthday) was a beautifully restored print and offered a remarkable look at airport check-in procedures fifty years ago! Further, it seems that Hollywood only made two hair colors in 1954: peroxide blond and red.

For more information on upcoming events, call the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at 310/247-3600.