Saturday, September 6, 2008

Greek Day


"Opah," I vowed to myself as I prepared for my Greek Day. I began at Jan's Family Restaurant on Beverly Blvd across from another Luxe Hotel, The Elan. The Greek owned coffee shop has all the usual fare but with a few added choices. I went for the scrambled eggs with feta and tomatoes, coffee and the LA Times. Then I headed east for the 10th Annual Greek Fest at Saint Sofia Greek Orthodox Cathedral on Pico Blvd, in the Byzantine / Latin Quarter of Los Angeles. Initially, I took a tour of the magnificent church, awed by the huge chandeliers, stain glass window, gold work and mosaics. Then I walked through the carnival booths and ended up standing in front of the dance floor. Mesmerized by the music, I admired dozens of festival goers who were enjoying themselves, forming chains of synchronized legs. In the end, I couldn't resist the sweet honied baklava and bought a second slice to-go.