Monday, July 16, 2007

With a Little Puck

It was Friday night and I found myself at the 21st Annual Shakespeare Festival in Los Angeles waiting for A Midsummer Night’s Dream to begin. The Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels was the backdrop and the sun was setting over the bronze doors to my left. Founded in 1984 with a mission to enchant, enrich and build community through theatrical traditions that are accessible to all, the festival is an integral part of the Los Angeles cultural landscape. At our performance, non-perishable canned goods were collected, advancing the notion that theater can feed more than the soul. A Midsummer Night’s Dream runs from July 11 to 22nd at the Cathedral and from July 25 – 29 at the South Coast Botanic Garden. Set on Central Avenue, “The course of true love never did run smooth.” Quote (Act I, Scene I)

At midnight, it was the original Tommy’s for a late night snack on the way home. I’d never been there before and my enchanting host, Gerry Furth, suggested that I take the burger plunge for $5.60, including a cold root beer and fries. Even better, try The Village Idiot burger for $11. The $10 martini is extra. The Village Idiot has great traditional pub fare and the bar stays open until 2:00 AM.