Monday, July 30, 2007

Mods & Rockers

As a teen I always had this romantic fascination with San Francisco. I imagined wearing flowers in my hair and long flowing dresses. But alas, I never got there until long after the magic was gone. So I went to see a few selections from American Cinematheque’s Mods & Rockers film festival which returned stronger than ever for its 8th annual edition. It’s packed with original English mod movies from the 1960’s, rare music videos and the latest rock culture films. This year at the Egyptian is a special focus on films that document the manifold delights of rock and pop culture. There’s enough Beatles, Twiggy, Elvis and Jimi Hendrix to satisfy any LA hipster. “Only the strong survive.” Through August 1st.

Full details and updates on celebrity attendance on the American Cinematheque website.