Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Night at Burger King

I had every good intention to be in my home town of Milwaukee late on Thursday night and to wake up with my nieces. The dear girls waited up for me only to get the bad news around 11 PM that I would be detained in St. Louis due to thunderstorms in the Midwest. In all the years I’ve traveled, I’ve never spent the night in an airport. I hope that the experience isn’t repeated any time soon. The molded plastic benches at the Burger King the main terminal are really hard and uncomfortable. Armed with a PGA (pretty good attitude), a group of stranded passengers found our way to the King where the lighting was more subdued, located near a public restroom and the seating unobstructed by arm rests. A charming 6 year old boy offered me three sticks of red licorice for dinner which I supplemented with a mozzarella cheese stick from the bottom of my purse. I admit I didn’t sleep an ounce and instead, struggled to read for five hours until little by little, person by person, the terminal came to life and I was standing in line for a flight to Memphis, TN. Then onto MKE where there were two delighted girls awaiting me who didn’t mind that I was in the same underwear for 24 hours.